We are currently out of stock of Carrageen – sorry for any inconvenience
Cough and Cold Remedy
The Red Seaweed of Chondrus crispus and Mastocarpus stellatus have been used for Centuries in Ireland to relieve sore throats, coughs and colds.
- 25g of Carrageen / Irish Moss
- 600ml (1 pint) of water
- Lemon, sugar, honey – to taste to your own preferences
The traditional way to make this is to :
- Soaked 25g of Carrageen / Irish Moss in a bowl of cold water for 15 mins.
- Place soaked Carrageen / Irish Moss in a pan with 600ml (1 pint) of water.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 mins – the Carrageen / Irish Moss should break up into little pieces and the liquid thickens.
- Strain the liquid through a sieve, making sure you get all the liquid through the sieve with the spoon.
- Add Sugar, lemon, honey to taste – to your own taste.
- Allow to cool and decant into a resealable jar/container.
- This will keep in the fridge for approx 1 week.
- Other flavours can be added to your own taste – ginger, vanilla essence, etc.
Basic Carrageen / Irish Moss Jelly
The basic Carrageen / Irish Moss Jelly will also contain all the minerals and nutrients from the plant, like above, but can be made into delicious desserts.
All Carrageen / Irish Moss dessert recipes have this basic recipe behind them.
- 20g of Carrageen / Irish Moss
- 900 ml (1.5 pint) of milk – preferably whole or semi skimmed
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
- Soak the Carrageen / Irish Moss in a bowl of cold water for 15 to 20 mins.
- Put milk and soaked carrageen / Irish Moss into a pan.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 30 mins. Stirring from time to time to make sure the mixture doesnt stick to the bottom of the pan.
- The Carrageen / Irish Moss will break up into pieces and the mixture will become “gloopy” – gelantinous.
- It will also coat the back of the wooden spoon.
- Strain through sieve into a mixing bowl, making sure that all of the mixture is pressed through the sieve. Discard the contents of the sieve (this can go into the compost bin).
- Add the sugar to taste and decant into bowls / ramekins to set.
Other Suggestions :
- Add the rind of a lemon / orange / lime to the milk when simmering and then;
- Add the juice of the citrus fruit chosen to the milky mixture in the mixing bowl.
- A few drops of Vanilla Essence can also be added.
- Drinking Chocolate can be added at the mixing bowl stage. The kids will love the Chocolate Jelly this produces.
- Beat an egg white until stiff and fold into the milk mixture before transferring to the ramekins / serving dishes.
- top with whipped cream and mint sprigs.
- top with cinnamon and nutmeg.