Carrageen / Irish Moss Recipes
Cough and Cold Remedy
The Red Seaweed of Chondrus crispus and Mastocarpus stellatus have been used for Centuries in Ireland to relieve sore throats, coughs and colds.
- 25g of Carrageen / Irish Moss
- 600ml (1 pint) of water
- Lemon, sugar, honey – to taste to your own preferences
The traditional way to make this is to :
- Soaked 25g of Carrageen / Irish Moss in a bowl of cold water for 15 mins.
- Place soaked Carrageen / Irish Moss in a pan with 600ml (1 pint) of water.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 mins – the Carrageen / Irish Moss should break up into little pieces and the liquid thickens.
- Strain the liquid through a sieve, making sure you get all the liquid through the sieve with the spoon.
- Add Sugar, lemon, honey to taste – to your own taste.
- Allow to cool and decant into a resealable jar/container.
- This will keep in the fridge for approx 1 week.
- Other flavours can be added to your own taste – ginger, vanilla essence, etc.
Basic Carrageen / Irish Moss Jelly
The basic Carrageen / Irish Moss Jelly will also contain all the minerals and nutrients from the plant, like above, but can be made into delicious desserts.
All Carrageen / Irish Moss dessert recipes have this basic recipe behind them.
- 20g of Carrageen / Irish Moss
- 900 ml (1.5 pint) of milk – preferably whole or semi skimmed
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
- Soak the Carrageen / Irish Moss in a bowl of cold water for 15 to 20 mins.
- Put milk and soaked carrageen / Irish Moss into a pan.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 30 mins. Stirring from time to time to make sure the mixture doesnt stick to the bottom of the pan.
- The Carrageen / Irish Moss will break up into pieces and the mixture will become “gloopy” – gelantinous.
- It will also coat the back of the wooden spoon.
- Strain through sieve into a mixing bowl, making sure that all of the mixture is pressed through the sieve. Discard the contents of the sieve (this can go into the compost bin).
- Add the sugar to taste and decant into bowls / ramekins to set.
Other Suggestions :
- Add the rind of a lemon / orange / lime to the milk when simmering and then;
- Add the juice of the citrus fruit chosen to the milky mixture in the mixing bowl.
- A few drops of Vanilla Essence can also be added.
- Drinking Chocolate can be added at the mixing bowl stage. The kids will love the Chocolate Jelly this produces.
- Beat an egg white until stiff and fold into the milk mixture before transferring to the ramekins / serving dishes.
- top with whipped cream and mint sprigs.
- top with cinnamon and nutmeg.